Mega Millions Winner: $104 Million Lottery Ticket Sold in Central NY
A single ticket sold in Central New York has won the $104 million Mega Millions jackpot in Friday’s drawing, lottery officials announced. The winning numbers were 05-39-54-63-66 + MEGA BALL ( 15 ) MEGAPLIER x 5. The sole winning ticket was sold in Cortland County at the Mirabito gas station on Route 281 in Preble. The winner, who has not yet been identified, can either take the annuity option with 30 average annual payouts of increasing amounts or a lump sum payment that is equal to all the cash in the Mega Millions jackpot prize pool.
In New York state, there were also thousands of tickets winning smaller prizes, including one lucky Multiplier ticket worth $5 million.
Second prize: $1 million
Mega Millions players can win $1 million by matching all five numbers. No such tickets were sold in any state.
Third prize: $5,000
- 8 tickets in New York state matched four numbers + the Mega Ball for a $5,000 prize.
Fourth prizes: $500
- 33 tickets in NY matched four of five numbers for a $500 prize.
Fifth prizes: $50
- 181 tickets matched three numbers + Mega Ball for a $50 prize.
Sixth & seventh prizes: $5
- 2,447 tickets in NY matched three of five numbers for a $5 prize.
- Another 4,034 tickets matched two numbers + Mega Ball for $5.
Eighth prizes: $2
- 36,666 tickets in NY matched one number + Mega Ball for a $2 prize.
Ninth prizes: $1
- 101,623 tickets got the Mega Ball only for a $1 prize.
Mega Millions Multiplier second prize: $5 million
- 1 winning ticket sold in NY matched all five numbers for a $5 million prize.
The Mega Millions multiplier for Sept. 22’s drawing was x5.
Multiplier participants must pay an additional $1 at the time of purchase of their Mega Millions tickets.
Mulitplier third prize: $25,000
- 1 ticket in New York state matched four numbers + the Mega Ball for a $25,000 prize.
Multiplier fourth prize: $2,500
- 0 tickets in NY matched four of five numbers for a $2,500 prize.
Multiplier fifth prize: $250
- 10 tickets matched three numbers + Mega Ball for a $250 prize.
Multiplier sixth and seventh prizes: $25
- 155 tickets in NY matched three of five numbers for a $25 prize.
- Another 240 tickets matched two numbers + Mega Ball for $25.
Multiplier eighth prizes: $10
- 2,405 tickets in NY matched one number + Mega Ball for a $10 prize.
Multiplier ninth prizes: $5
- 6,541 tickets got the Mega Ball only for a $5 prize.
Largest jackpot of all time? The largest jackpot was $1.586 billion for Powerball in January 2016. What are the odds of winning? The odds of winning the Mega Millions grand prize are 1 in 258,890,850. The Powerball odds are 1 in 292,201,338. (You have a greater chance of being struck by lightning, which is 1 in 1,101,000.) The lottery odds became longer after a rules change in 2015, but the chances to win one of the smaller prizes actually went up. Next drawing The next Mega Millions drawing that could make a lucky winner fabulously wealthy will be Tuesday, Sept. 26, at 10:59 p.m. The jackpot will be $15 million.